Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US (and celebrating outside of the US, too)!
We are in the heart of the holiday season now, and of course that can mean a lot of tasty treats. This “breakfast” bread, of course, has nothing explicitly to do with breakfast, but it is delicious in the morning, anyway. Tastes festive! And goes great with a steaming mug of your favorite hot bevvie. (Sorry for the blurry pic below!)
It’s sweet but not overly so and wonderful toasted. It doesn’t need any toppings, but I imagine some butter (or Earth Balance) or cream cheese would be delish on it.
Since it’s made with almond meal (aka almond flour), the carb-protein ratio is not overbalanced on the carb side. Also, both almonds and stevia are alkalizing, which helps to balance the acidifying effects of chocolate. Making this a perfectly balanced breakfast 😉
Plus, it’s loaded with antioxidants and healthy coconut oil fat, making it the perfect start to a holiday weekend morning — or a great jump start to the Monday morning after a holiday weekend.
As we head on into “the most wonderful time of the year,” I hope you all have a very happy and healthy holiday season!
Chocolate Breakfast Bread (Vegan, Gluten-Free, No Sugar Added)
- 1/4 cup stevia
- 2 cups almond meal / almond flour
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 egg substitutes (or 2 eggs if not making it vegan)
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
- 4 Tbsp. soy half & half (or dairy half & half if not making it vegan)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl until thoroughly incorporated.
- Oil a 9×5 bread pan with coconut oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing. Enjoy!
Adjust the recipe as necessary for your needs and tastes. You can determine the nutritional content of your final product using Recipe Calculator.
Do you have a favorite morning treat?