If you’ve been following along so far, you’ve already gotten tips on making homemade blonde highlights, and perking up red hues with hibiscus tea. Well, if you’ve got lovely chocolate-hued or raven locks, you’ll be happy to know that you can enhance your dark hair just as easily—and just as naturally, too!
This easy DIY home remedy will also help to cover stray greys and peek-a-boo light roots. If you’re a natural-born brunette, you might notice your hair getting mousy over time. And if you color your hair brown with henna or herbs, you might want to add rich depth without spending a fortune.
My favorite all-natural, easy way to enhance dark hair is to simply use coffee or black tea! Unlike the blonde and red highlighting sprays, though, this remedy works best when your hair is completely saturated. So be sure to give yourself at least 30 minutes to an hour—and try to avoid using light-colored towels for clean-up 😉
Coffee will impart a rich, chocolatey tone; black tea will give your hair a deep tone with fantastic shine. If you’re feeling extra-bold (mmm, just like a fresh cup of coffee), use both coffee and tea!
And remember, if you are a blonde or redhead, be sure to check out my previous posts for tips suitable for your locks! (My hair has been just about every shade in the book, so believe me, I’ve done them all.)
Stuff to Know:
- This rinse is recommended only for hair that is its natural color (“virgin” hair) or has been colored only with natural vegetable dyes or pure, natural products such as 100% pure henna or herbs. If your hair has been chemically treated or if you go to a salon for highlights or coloring, please talk with your stylist first.
- Spot test any products or ingredients before using any homemade products on your face, head, or body, especially if you have sensitive skin or are prone to irritation and/or allergies.
- This rinse is best used right away. Do not store it.
Coffee / Tea Hair Rinse for Brunette Highlights and Depth
- 1/2 gallon brewed coffee, very strong. Do not use instant coffee, only freshly brewed.
- OR 1/2 gallon very strong black tea (use at least 5 tea bags and brew for at least 5 minutes)
- OR a blend of coffee and tea
- Make sure your coffee/tea has cooled completely before using.
- With a towel wrapped around your neck, align your head over a sink basin or bucket.
- Very slowly pour the coffee/tea over your hair until each strand is fully saturated.
- Comb through. Style your hair into a bun if possible, and cover with a shower cap or plastic wrap to prevent drips.
- Leave on for one hour, then rinse and shampoo as usual.
- Repeat as needed to keep you hair rich and deep!
Like this tip? Consider buying my book to get all 52 tips PLUS bonus tips in an easy-to-read format! It’s called A Year of Natural Health and Beauty: 52 Easy, Frugal, Natural Ideas to Enhance Your Mind, Body, and Spirit. You can buy it on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other places. Click here to learn more or to purchase!
Questions for readers:
Do you have dark hair or dark lowlights?
Have you ever used coffee or tea in your hair care?