These little treats are similar to my Chocolate-Coconut Energy Bites, but with two major differences: sunflower seeds and carob. Sunflower seeds are anti-inflammatory, making them excellent for recovery. And unlike cacao, carob doesn’t have any stimulating properties, so you can eat these right before bed 😉 and not worry whether they’ll keep you awake.
Carob is less sweet than cacao, however, so if you like your treats sweeter but don’t want the extra sugar (stimulating just like caffeine!), you can add some stevia to the mix.
Like the chocolate-coconut bites, these little guys are loaded with antioxidants, healthy fats, alkalizing properties, and pure deliciousness.
They’re an excellent refueling and recovery snack after a hard workout, but they’re equally good as a healthy dessert.
I make these very small: the recipe can roll out as many as 22 miniature servings. But if you’re a big fan, you can make 12 1-inch bites instead. Or double the recipe and make 24 1-inch bites 😉
Carob-Dusted Raw Power Bites (Vegan, Gluten-Free, No Sugar Added, Raw)
Ingredients for 12 regular or 22 mini servings
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked 4-6 hours
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds, soaked 4-6 hours
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. + 4 Tbsp. raw carob powder for dusting
- Optional: 10 drops (or 1 packet) of stevia
- Drain and rinse the cashews and sunflower seeds.
- In a food processor, blend together the cashews, sunflower seeds, coconut oil, and 1 Tbsp. carob powder.
- Hand-roll into 1-inch or 1/2-inch balls with your hands, then roll in the carob powder to dust.
- Freeze for 15 minutes. Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Enjoy!
Adjust the recipe as necessary for your needs and tastes. You can determine the nutritional content of your final product using Recipe Calculator.
Do you eat before working out?
If you run long distances, do you have a favorite snack for long runs?