Springtime is here! Which means summertime is right around the corner…and that means sandals, flip-flops, and bare feet. If your tootsies have been gathering dust ~ and calluses ~ over the winter, you can prepare to bare them easily with a simple vinegar soak.
Of course, if you’re a runner or dancer and want to keep your calluses, go ahead and skip this section, or bookmark it for after your marathon or big performance
You can use plain white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. Both will soften the tough skin and make it easier to be sloughed off with a pumice stone. Be sure to dilute the vinegar with water, and always moisturize your feet afterward.
Your soft, fresh feet will thank you for it!
Stuff to Know:
- If your skin is highly sensitive, dilute the vinegar with water even further, up to a 1:10 ratio.
- Spot test any products or ingredients before using any homemade products on your body, especially if you have sensitive skin or are prone to irritation and/or allergies.
- Use this solution right away and do not store it. Discard the solution after use.
- Painful calluses, corns, bunions, and other foot problems can be the result of ill-fitting shoes or health issues. If you have concerns about the health of your feet, please see a podiatrist or other foot care professional.
Vinegar Soak to Soften Calluses
- 1 cup white or apple cider vinegar
- 2 gallons warm water
Steps to Make:
- Pour the warm water into a large bowl, tub, or bucket.
- Add the vinegar and stir.
- Wash your feet first.
- Place your feet in the vinegar solution and soak for up to 45 minutes.
- While your feet are sill damp, scrub the calluses in small, circular motions with a pumice stone or stiff, dry washcloth to slough away the skin.
- Pat your feet dry.
- Apply your favorite lotion or oil and massage in well. Try coconut oil, almond oil, or vitamin E oil for great results!
- Repeat daily as needed.
Like this tip? Consider buying my book to get all 52 tips PLUS bonus tips in an easy-to-read format! It’s called A Year of Natural Health and Beauty: 52 Easy, Frugal, Natural Ideas to Enhance Your Mind, Body, and Spirit. You can buy it on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other places. Click here to learn more or to purchase!
Questions for readers:
Do you use vinegar in your beauty routine?
Do you give yourself home pedicures or do you prefer to have someone else look after your feet?