Springtime is here! Which means summertime is right around the corner…and that means sandals, flip-flops, and bare feet. If your tootsies have been gathering dust ~ and calluses ~ over the winter, you can prepare to bare them easily with a simple vinegar soak.
Of course, if you’re a runner or dancer and want to keep your calluses, go ahead and skip this section, or bookmark it for after your marathon or big performance🙂
You can use plain white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. Both will soften the tough skin and make it easier to be sloughed off with a pumice stone. Be sure to dilute the vinegar with water, and always moisturize your feet afterward.
Your soft, fresh feet will thank you for it!
Stuff to Know:
- If your skin is highly sensitive, dilute the vinegar with water even further, up to a 1:10 ratio.
- Spot test any products or ingredients before using any homemade products on your body, especially if you have sensitive skin or are prone to irritation and/or allergies.
- Use this solution right away and do not store it. Discard the solution after use.
- Painful calluses, corns, bunions, and other foot problems can be the result of ill-fitting shoes or health issues. If you have concerns about the health of your feet, please see a podiatrist or other foot care professional.
Vinegar Soak to Soften Calluses
- 1 cup white or apple cider vinegar
- 2 gallons warm water
Steps to Make:
- Pour the warm water into a large bowl, tub, or bucket.
- Add the vinegar and stir.
- Wash your feet first.
- Place your feet in the vinegar solution and soak for up to 45 minutes.
- While your feet are sill damp, scrub the calluses in small, circular motions with a pumice stone or stiff, dry washcloth to slough away the skin.
- Pat your feet dry.
- Apply your favorite lotion or oil and massage in well. Try coconut oil, almond oil, or vitamin E oil for great results!
- Repeat daily as needed.
Like this tip? Consider buying my book to get all 52 tips PLUS bonus tips in an easy-to-read format! It’s called A Year of Natural Health and Beauty: 52 Easy, Frugal, Natural Ideas to Enhance Your Mind, Body, and Spirit. You can buy it on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other places. Click here to learn more or to purchase!
Questions for readers:
Do you use vinegar in your beauty routine?
Do you give yourself home pedicures or do you prefer to have someone else look after your feet?