Puffy eyes in the morning are a common complaint, particularly as we get older. So much time spent in front of the computer, smartphone screen, TV, books, and movie screens can cause eye fatigue, even upon waking. Additionally, extra sodium, sugar, and inflammatory foods like dairy and wheat can cause dark circles, under-eye bags, and puffiness. And I don’t even think I need to mention how alcohol and lack of sleep can cause bloodshot eyes in the morning!
Adding a short and gentle eye massage to your morning routine will help to improve circulation, eliminate puffiness, and give you a bright-eyed start to the day! I do this first thing when I wake up, while lying on my back in bed, but you can do it anytime, anywhere.
Stuff to Know:
- Make sure you’re not wearing contact lenses or eye makeup.
- Make sure your hands are clean and free of debris, grease, and other residue.
- Be extraordinarily gentle!
Quick Morning Eye Massage
- With clean fingertips, dab a small amount of face oil or cream on the skin under your eyes.
- Place your left index and middle fingers a half-inch to the outside corner of your left eye to prevent the skin from jiggling, but be careful not to pull or stretch it tautly.
- Using your right ring finger, very gently massage the inside corner of your left eye using small, circular movements.
- Change hands and repeat with your right eye.
- Place your ring fingers on your lower eye sockets, slightly beneath the outside corners of your eyes. Press gently and massage for ten seconds.
- Place your ring fingers beneath the center of each eyebrow and press gently for 10 seconds.
- Then, close your eyes and place each ring finger on each eyelid. Attempt to open your eyes against the gentle pressure. Repeat five times.
- Open your eyes wide. With your ring fingers, press upward on the spot just above each eyebrow for five seconds. Repeat five times.
Like this tip? Consider buying my book to get all 52 tips PLUS bonus tips in an easy-to-read format! It’s called A Year of Natural Health and Beauty: 52 Easy, Frugal, Natural Ideas to Enhance Your Mind, Body, and Spirit. You can buy it on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other places. Click here to learn more or to purchase!
Questions for readers:
Do you have any special morning routines?
Do you spend a lot of time in front of screens or books, and do your eyes get fatigued because of it?