Welcome to the first posting in my project, A Year of Natural Health & Beauty: 52 Ideas to Enhance Your Mind, Body, and Spirit! During 2012, I’ll be posting one easy, frugal, and all-natural tip each week to help guide you along a path of beauty and health.
Natural Health & Beauty Tip #1:
Drink Lemon Water
If nothing else, simply adding lemon to your water makes it more flavorful! But the benefits of lemon water are so bountiful that this is indisputably my number one health and beauty tip.
- It helps to alkalize the body, balancing the body’s pH level and reducing the acidifying effects of meat, alcohol, dairy, and stress.
- Its antibacterial properties help to control unhealthy bacteria in the body. Balancing bacteria, particularly in the gut, can help keep you healthy all year long.
- When taken with warm water, it aids digestion while calming heartburn, bloating, and belching. It cleans your liver, your body’s most important internal waste-removal organ, and helps to reduce constipation.
- It decreases phlegm and mucus and loosens congestion.
- It helps to cleanse and purify the blood.
- It works as a diuretic, helping the body to flush excess fluid. This can be useful for women who are premenstrual and feeling bloated. It also helps the body to remove waste and keeps the kidneys and urinary systems clean.
- It contains large amounts of Vitamin C and trace amounts of Vitamin A, magnesium, and potassium. For a fantastic sports drink to replace your lost electrolytes, add a sprinkle of sea salt and a smidgen of agave nectar!
- For those who dislike drinking plain water, adding flavor makes it more appealing. Hydrate up!
Caution: drinking too much lemon water can cause your tooth enamel to become fragile. After drinking it, swish your mouth with plain water. Don’t brush your teeth for 30 minutes after drinking lemon water.
I’m thirsty now! 🙂
Questions for readers:
Do you drink lemon water regularly? If so, what benefits have you noticed?
What are some of your basic, foundational, common-sense health and beauty actions?